Pages

Monday, April 27, 2009

On the Edge

I'm standing on the edge of the Pacific and the mystery of what's in and beyond the deep water draws me forward. I come here frequently to escape from my real life and remember that other choices exist.  

Initially, this beach on the Oregon coast looks closed in. Steep cliffs border it on two sides.  The town snakes its way dramatically up the mountainside. Roads look perilous, houses are mostly old and there's little to no room for growth. Here, on the edge, there are two escape routes though. Years ago, someone dug through the base of the North cliff, so it's possible to walk cautiously through a dark, long tunnel and make it to another beach though it turns out to be almost identical to the one I just left.  

Or, I can face the water, take one, take two steps forward and finally trust that I know how to swim to another land.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think?