Pages

Sunday, May 17, 2009

The Starling Dilemma

I'm watching a sad drama unfold in my backyard. A baby starling fell from its nest and can't get home. The neighbor cat who looks like Sylvester tried to catch it. What a dilemma. Do I let nature take its course and prevent the bird from dying of starvation or do I give the bird a chance to live? No simple answer and the outcome will probably be the same.

Sometimes we think we must interfere and save animals. Would a prime directive (to not interfere) lead us to a better relation with nature? Or have humans already interfered beyond the point of no return by living and dominating all corners of the earth.

It is ironic that this small bird is a non-native species commonly considered to be invasive. Aside from any value judgement on another being, my impulse is to relieve another's suffering.

The cat is here as part of human habitation and does not hunt for food, but for sport. When he made his move, I chased him out of the yard.

The parent bird lurks nearby with food in its beak.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think?