Pages

Saturday, March 7, 2009

Michelle's visit to the Cascade Raptor Center

Recently I checked out the Cascade Raptor Center in Eugene, Oregon. (http://www.eraptors.org/) Why do I get teary when I see beautiful animals – wild or domestic? All of the birds at the center are injured or human habituated to the point of not being able to make it in the wild. Some birds are rehabilitated and returned to the wild; others live their lives out at the center and are used to educate people about raptors. As I walk around the outdoor cages I feel stillness. I don’t want to speak above a low tone and feel an urge to communicate my intense care to the birds, some of whom are naturally nocturnal and have been wakened by my presence. One of the owls even yawned in my face while I tried to take a photo through the cage wires.

The following quote frames how I feel or how I want to feel about animals (and people) better than I can express. It’s a beautiful contemplation on the hidden strength of compassion that might only be possible through some form of spiritual practice and awareness. Definitely a work in progress.
Usually, our concept of compassion or love refers to the feeling of closeness we have with our friends and loved ones. Sometimes compassion also carries a sense of pity. This is wrong. Any love or compassion which entails looking down on the other is not genuine compassion. To be genuine, compassion must be based on respect for the other, and on the realization that others have the right to be happy and overcome suffering, just as much as you. On this basis, since you can see that others are suffering, you develop a genuine sense of concern for them. - HH the 14th Dalai Lama

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think?