Pages

Thursday, March 12, 2009

Sometimes a book comes along just when it’s needed

For the last four years, I've tried growing a fig tree. And, for the last three years my fig tree grew not an inch. Last year, I moved it to the upper garden, thinking it wanted a more uptown address. And, while it then sprouted a few leaves, these same leaves disappeared overnight.

Ruling out slugs (they don't climb trees do they?) and rabbits (for the same reason), I was left with the local deer. I knew no fence could enclose my garden without a major withdrawal from my savings account; but luckily, my daughter gave me what is now one of my favorite gardening books: Deerproofing Your Yard & Garden, by Rhonda Massingham Hart.

Ms. Hart knows her deer.

I used her suggestion to hang Irish Spring soap (yes, she really named the brand) on a small stake near the tree. And, nary a deer darkened that spot of my garden afterwards. By the end of last summer, my fig tree had grown 16 inches higher and several stems wider. Of course, will those lovely figs that should start appearing this summer speak with an Irish lilt? And, will I use them in the bath rather than enjoy them for dessert? -Pat

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think?