Pages

Monday, March 23, 2009

Heron on the Roof

Last year I heard a loud, strange bird call and peeked out my back door towards my neighbor’s house. I saw a heron standing on the roof eyeing the fish pond in my neighbors' backyard. Apparently the large bird had been dining regularly on their fish. Since losing the fish, my neighbors put more plants in the pond to give their new fish places to hide from predators. The heron was much larger than the typical flocks of finches, nuthatches, and flickers that frequent our yards and he seemed oversized for the roof.

One resource I read indicates that the heron teaches us to be self-reliant and to progress and evolve. Herons follow their own hearts rather than allow themselves to be guided by the crowd.

I got a lot of photos before the tall fellow disappeared over the ridge of the roof and flew off. The next day I saw him on a roof across the street. After that I didn't see him again. I imagine he followed his heart to a neighborhood with better fishing. - Michelle

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think?