Pages

Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Hailstorm!

My dog Maggie and I went for a walk yesterday in our suburban neighborhood. The sky was threatening and dark from the west, but sunny and warmish to the east. We headed east. It felt like spring until we decided that the dark cloud coming our way was probably going to get us wet if we didn’t change course. Maggie was nervous. She probably felt the barometric pressure changing. Though she’s deaf and somewhat immune now, she’s spent a good part of her 12 ½ years terrified of thunder storms. She knows the storm signs.

On the way home we started hearing a group of crows. I’ve always liked the corvids. They’re so intelligent. One sentry crow was at the top of a fir tree. The rest were digging around a lawn for edible treasure. When Maggie and I walked past, they took off.

We made it home before the cloud reached us. Awhile later I heard a staccato attack on the roof. Hail! It’s rare here. I looked outside and saw big pieces of ice bouncing off my deck and lawn. I took my camera out and got some close-ups of hailstones shaped like teeth!

Soon the cloud passed and the "teeth" melted.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think?